“Every voice has the power to help a student and expand the accounting profession for the future.”
– Dr. Lisa Owens-Jackson, CPA
Accounting & Finance Chair at North Carolina A&T State University
Creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive space for present and future accounting professionals
We make better decisions when we embrace, involve, and seek to understand those with different backgrounds than ourselves.
That’s why NCACPA is committed to…
NCACPA is in a unique position to reach aspiring professionals to join the accounting pipeline and better reflect the world.
Doing things differently than they’ve been done before
Change doesn’t happen by doing everything the same as it’s always been done. The NCACPA community and staff is committed to filling the pipeline with people who represent a different, more diverse, accounting future.
NCACPA’s Pipeline Fingerprints
- NCACPA created a unique accounting educator membership that makes involvement with NCACPA more affordable and provides a special community where they can share resources.
- Consulting academic programmers for relevancy
- The Association is working to connect Business Leaders and Educators through various events
- NCACPA created an Education Resource Group whose primary objective is to support the accounting pipeline.
- Hosting CPA Evolution roundtables with open discussion about hot topics, knowledge sharing, collaboration, learning and more
- The NC CPA Foundation is committed to supporting a diverse, equitable and inclusive pipeline to the profession. For the fourth consecutive year, the Foundation awarded over 1/3 of its scholarship dollars to students from underrepresented backgrounds, equating to $48,000 in 2021.
- In 2021, NCACPA awarded $130,000 in scholarships to 62 students from 21 colleges and universities in North Carolina.
- Received a generous contribution of $100,000 in the Fall of 2021 from NCACPA Board of Directors in recognition of the Foundation’s efforts to address the pipeline and its focus on diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Continued partnership with the NC State Board of CPA Examiners now totaling 22 students from 14 different schools receiving vouchers covering CPA exam fees. One of our original voucher recipients has passed all four parts and three additional students have passed at least half the sections.
- On a monthly basis, NCACPA makes efforts to continuously collect demographic data at the association and NC State Board of CPA Examiners level. Understanding the demographic composition of the profession will allow for continuous evolution that will broaden the talent pipeline and aid in identifying progressions, challenges, and trends.
- NCACPA has expanded our demographic options related to race/ethnicity and gender, in hopes of gaining a better understanding about those in our community.
- The Association’s work on H.R. 3855, the Accounting STEM Pursuit Act, which would designate accounting as a STEM profession under Technology. It would add “activities to promote the development, implementation, and strengthening of programs to teach accounting” to the list of allowable uses of grant funding under the Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grant program, with a focus on increasing access to high-quality accounting courses for students who are members of groups underrepresented in accounting careers. Here is a link to the email that went out about this.
- Through NCACPA’s lobbying, Representative Deborah Ross and Representative Kathy Manning signed on as cosponsors of the H.R. 3855 bill.
- The Association continues to push for passage of this federal legislation and will explore options for STEM designation for accounting at the state level.
Examples to add
- CPA Awareness Week – – this is certainly pipeline related
- Education RG – – need the educators there to support and help move them through the education system
- Summer leadership conference
- Any high school items that we have been working on – – let’s expand