APPLYING TO THE YOUNG PROFESSIONALS CABINET
Applications are accepted annually for the 8 open positions.
Note: As participation in this group does require both work and attendance at events/meetings during business hours, as well as a good bit of additional work outside of business hours, it is imperative we know your employer supports your involvement.
Complete online application, including electronic employer support and professional recommendation. Apply here!
The deadline for 2022 applications is October 24, 2022 at 11:59 pm EST.
The deadline for your electronic employer support and professional recommendation is October 31, 2022 at 11:59 pm EST.
*Please note this application is solely reviewed in the selection process and any previous applications are not considered or referenced.
The Young Professionals Cabinet Succession Planning Subcommittee will review all applications.
Each applicant will complete two virtual interviews via Zoom video call (preferred) or phone with Young Professionals Cabinet Succession Planning Subcommittee Members (each interview with last approximately 30 minutes). Interviews will be hosted separately and structured identically with the same questions to ensure each applicant receives fair and unbiased reviews.
Applicants will be notified by the end of December 2022 of their application status.
Those selected for the 2023-26 Young Professionals Cabinet class will begin onboarding in spring 2023 and provided more information on what to expect beginning May 1.
Due to the high volume of applicants, unfortunately not all interested individuals will be selected to serve in the new class. We encourage you to continue your involvement in Cabinet activities and reapply next year.
Expectations of a Cabinet Member
- Each member will serve a three-year term beginning May 1
- NCACPA membership is required to participate on the Young Professionals Cabinet
- The Young Professionals Cabinet meets a minimum of 4 times per year (typically in May, August, November, & January) for full-day meetings (approximately 8:30 am–3:30 pm, excluding travel) in different locations across North Carolina. Attendance at three of the four meetings is mandatory. Missing more than one meeting per year may result in a request to step down from the Cabinet. It is preferred for cabinet members to attend meetings in person for optimum engagement, however, virtual participation is accepted.
- There will be a Cabinet-sponsored event the night before each Cabinet meeting (typically hosted from 6:00-8:00 pm) in an effort for the YP Cabinet to network with local YPs. Attendance at these events is expected.
- Overnight accommodations are provided by NCACPA for those traveling from a non-local area. Food and beverage during the meeting will be provided. Any travel expenses (and registration expenses for the pre-meeting event) are the responsibility of the cabinet member.
- The Cabinet creates and adheres to an annual action plan which details activities for the year. The action plan is discussed and agreed upon in the January meeting prior to the beginning of the next fiscal year for budget purposes and revisited at the first meeting of the next year to include the new class. This is an evergreen document and may be adjusted throughout the year as needs arise, however, all Cabinet activities must relate to the Cabinet mission.
- Annually the Young Professionals Cabinet participates in a donation goal to support the NC CPA Foundation Inc. toward scholarships. The dollar amount goal and participation goal (for example: 100% cabinet participation in some way) are voted upon in the first meeting of each year.
- Cabinet members are expected to have active participation in cabinet meetings and be engaged.
- As part of the action plan completion, time between cabinet meetings is required to support the cabinet initiatives. Participation in each activity is voluntary and cabinet members are asked to be conscious of their schedules when signing up to help with an action item. It is expected for cabinet members to participate in action item activities where possible.
- Cabinet members are asked to attend social and networking events hosted in their local area as a representative of the cabinet to support the association.
- The Young Professionals Cabinet is asked to attend the NCACPA Annual Business Meeting which historically has been connected to an NCACPA Focus on the Profession with a free 1-hour CPE credit for NCACPA members. This is a virtual event occurring in early May each year.
- Cabinet members are invited to NCACPA’s annual training for volunteer leaders and asked to attend if possible. This event typically occurs in early May and is in-person.