NCACPA is registered in the state of North Carolina with headquarters at 3100 Gateway Centre Boulevard, Morrisville, NC 27560.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU AND HOW WE USE IT
The Personal Information we collect and how we use it depends on the context of your interactions with us. As explained below, we collect Personal Information when you provide it directly to us and when we receive it from third parties. We also collect certain information automatically when you interact with the Site.
Information You Provide Us
We collect Personal Information that you choose to share with us when you use the Site, as described below.
Account and Membership Information
If you visit our Site, create a member account, or sign up for services such as CPE programs and special events, we will collect Personal Information from you, including through forms presented on the Site.
This Personal Information may include:
- email address,
- company name and job title/position, and
- phone number.
If you access our member platform, Connect, you will be asked to provide your member log-in credentials. Connect allows you to post information about your membership, content, hypothetical scenarios, and other information, subject to our Code of Conduct. Any information you choose to share on public areas of Connect is visible to other users of Connect.
If you make a payment through the Site, we will need to collect your payment card number, expiration date, CVV, credit card type, and billing name and address.
If you contact us or participate in a survey, contest, or promotion, we collect the information you submit such as your name, email address, contact information, and message. If you apply for a job through the “Careers” page on our Site, we (or our third party career services providers) will collect information necessary to evaluate and contact you about your application, which may include your contact details, your resume/CV, employment history, job preferences, educational background, achievements, immigration status and entitlement to work; as well as information for diversity monitoring, such as your gender, race, disability or veteran status.
Information We Collect Automatically
In addition to the information you share with us, we collect some information automatically when you use the Site. The types of information that we collect automatically may include:
- Technical information about your computer, device, hardware, or software you use to access the Internet or our Site, such as IP address or other transactional or identifier information for your device (such as device make and model, information about device operating systems and browsers, or other device or system related specifications);
- Usage information and statistics about your interaction with the Site which may include the URLs of the Site that you have visited, URLs of referring and exiting pages, page views, time spent on a page, number of clicks, the applications and features you use, when and how long you use those applications and features, and other usage statistics;
- Information that facilitates a safer and more personalized experience with the Site, such as user identification information, saved preferences, and device identifiers or usage information for authentication and fraud prevention purposes; and
- Information about your approximate location, which we may derive from device information such as IP address.
Information We Collect from Third Parties
In some cases, we receive Personal information from third parties. For instance, while using our Site, individuals may provide information about another individual, or an authorized user (such as an account administrator) creating an account on your behalf may provide information about you.
We may also receive Personal Information from other third-party sources, including:
- Our service providers, such as online analytics providers.
- Data brokers from which we purchase demographic data to supplement the data we collect.
- Publicly available sources, such as business registries.
HOW WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use the Personal Information that we collect or receive through the Site for the following purposes:
- To respond to your inquiries and requests and communicate with you about the Site, your membership, or services you subscribe to through the Site, such as providing information or materials related to events you sign up for through the Site;
- To send you membership invoices and other accounting purposes;
- To operate and provide support for your use of the Site;
- To store information about your preferences and customize your experience on the Site;
- To analyze usage trends and patterns and measure the effectiveness of the Site;
- To perform our agreements with customers, including fulfilling orders and requests and processing payments;
- To provide you with customized information about other events, products, services we offer, and other information we think may be of interest to you;
- To administer, evaluate, and improve our business and the Site (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- To comply with legal or regulatory requirements, judicial process, and our company policies (including due diligence and contracting activities);
- To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, including as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding;
- To demonstrate and verify compliance with our internal policies and procedures, and applicable privacy and data security laws and regulations; and
- For any other purpose that you may authorize or direct at the time we collect your Personal Information.
We may also use de-identified or aggregated information for product development, research, analytics and other purposes, including for the purpose of research, advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes.
We collect information about your use of the Site through tracking technologies such as cookies and web beacons. A “cookie” is a unique numeric code that is transferred to your computer to track your interests and preferences and to recognize you as a return visitor. A “Web beacon” is a transparent graphic image placed on a website, e-mail or advertisement that enables the monitoring of things such as user activity and site traffic.
Most web browsers accept cookies automatically, but can be configured not to do so or to notify the user when a cookie is being sent. If you wish to disable cookies, refer to your browser help menu to learn how to disable cookies. Please note that if you disable cookies, you may not be able to use some customized features available through the Site.
HOW WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION
To accomplish the purposes set out above, we may share your Personal Information with other parties that may include the following:
- In relation to events hosted or sponsored by NCACPA or its members, a roster of registrant contact information may be shared with fellow registrants and sponsors of such events;
- With other NCACPA members with whom you choose to share your information through the Membership Directory through our member platform, Connect;
- Service providers that perform services on our behalf and under our direction;
- Other third parties as necessary to (a) protect or defend our interests and the legal rights or property; (b) protect the rights, interest and safety and security of the Site, our organization, or members of the public; (c) protect against fraud, and (d) investigate and prosecute users who engage in behavior that is illegal or harmful to others or to others’ property;
- A buyer or other successor or organization in the event of an actual or potential merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, including as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding; and
- Such other parties, or for such other purposes, as you may authorize or direct when we collect your Personal Information.
Membership Information Through Connect
NCACPA members may choose to share their Personal Information through the Membership Directory through our member platform, Connect. NCACPA members have the ability to control the information contained in the Connect directory, or opt out of the listing. To opt out or adjust what information appears, members must log into their Connect profile, navigate to Settings, and click on “Privacy” to control what information is shared.
We are committed to protect and secure the information of NCACPA and our members and we use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect against unauthorized access to or alteration, disclosure, or destruction of personal data. We encrypt many of our services using SSL and we review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to our systems. Nevertheless, transmission via the internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of information about you.
You can always choose whether or not to provide information to the Site. However, if you choose not to disclose certain information, you may not be able to establish an account on the Site, which may limit your access to certain functions of the Site. Other examples of your choices include:
You can browse our Site without registering or directly submitting any information to us (although we may still collect some limited information automatically, as described above);
You may opt out of receiving our messages at any time by using the opt-out mechanism provided in the message; and
You may change your browser settings or take other steps to block, manage, or delete cookies. Our Sites do not currently respond to browser “do not track” signals, so you will need to use your browser settings to effectively manage cookies. In some cases, blocking or disabling cookies may cause the Site not to work as intended and some features may not be available.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES AND SERVICES
OUR GLOBAL PRACTICES
We may process and store your Personal Information in the United States and in any other country where we or our or service providers operate. By your use of the Site you acknowledge that we will maintain your Personal Information in jurisdictions which may have different data protection rules than in your country, and that your Personal Information may become accessible as permitted by law in those jurisdictions, including to law enforcement or national security authorities.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Email: [email protected]
Postal Mail: North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
3100 Gateway Centre Boulevard
Morrisville, NC 27560
Attn: Privacy Office
Last Updated: January 6, 2022