The Additional Supplemental Appropriations for Disaster Relief Act of 2019 (H.R. 2157) was signed into law by President Trump on June 6, 2019. This legislation includes long-awaited, critical funding for farmers, communities, small businesses, and military installations in North Carolina.
The North Carolina Association of CPAs was especially pleased to receive this news following its visit to Capitol Hill in late May, during which Association members stressed the urgency of passing disaster relief legislation.
The funding package includes:
- $381 million to repair damages to Marine Corps installations, including Camp Lejeune.
- $1 billion for the Flood Control and Coastal Emergencies account to better support emergency preparation and repairs for floods, hurricanes, and other natural disasters.
- $600 million for the planning and construction of projects to replace facilities damaged by Hurricanes Florence and Michael.
- $2.4 billion for Community Development Block Grants for disasters since 2017, and permits states to interchangeably use funds from Hurricane Matthew for Hurricane Florence.
- $3 billion for farm disaster assistance to cover producers’ losses stemming from the 2018 and 2019 natural disasters.
A summary of the legislation is available here. NCACPA continues to advocate for disaster tax relief in light of casualty losses sustained from natural disasters.