You do not have to give us any personal information to browse the Site. We do, however, use server side logs and applications to track Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser types, Internet Service Providers (ISP), number of clicks per page, and other statistical information that is not linked to personally identifiable information. NCACPA does this in an effort to analyze trends so we can continue to improve the content and services provided through the Site.
Members and Non-members: To process certain requests from members and non-members (e.g., registration for CPE programs, renewal of membership, updates to personally identifiable information, and other services), NCACPA collects only the information necessary to process the request, which is voluntarily provided by the user. Types of information required to process requests include contact information (name, address, phone number, fax number, email address, and membership number). Additionally, for the online purchasing of products or services, financial information may include credit card number, expiration date, and CVV number. At no point does NCACPA collect any of this information in an involuntary manner. Credit card information is never stored by NCACPA.
A username and password are required to access certain sections of the Site. We require this information to provide for ease of use with CPE registration, renewal of membership, updates to personally identifiable information, and other online services provided for member-only use.
Use of Information Collected Through the Site
The Site may contain advertisements, whose related cookies may collect personal information, but also track movement and behavior on other websites. These cookies, from third-party advertisers or from links accessed via the Site, are not controlled by NCACPA. If users do not want to save site-related cookies on their hard drive, they must adjust browser settings to delete and/or not accept cookies. However, if adjustments are made in this manner, NCACPA cannot guarantee that all applications on the Site will function properly.
NCACPA reserves the right to contact you by email or other conventional means using your personally identifiable information to provide updates regarding NCACPA issues, products, and services. NCACPA will remove any name (and related personally identifiable information) from any mailing list upon request. To request to be removed from any mailing list, please contact the Member Service Center at the contact information listed below.
Personal Information We Share
NCACPA does not sell, rent, trade or otherwise share any personally identifiable information with any third party, with the following exceptions:
- In an effort to facilitate networking among the membership, NCACPA makes member contact information available to members only via the online Membership Directory accessible through the Site. Members have the ability to change or update the information contained in the directory, or completely opt out of the listing. To opt out, visit the “Manage My Account” section of the Site and click the “Opt Out of Membership Directory” link at the bottom of the page. The extraction of large amounts of information from the Membership Directory, often referred to as “data mining,” is expressly prohibited. No one, member or non-member, may access the NCACPA Membership Directory in order to “mine” data.
- Contact information for NCACPA’s volunteer leadership is available to any visitor in certain areas on the Site. Portions of this information are also printed in the summer issue of Interim Report.
- As part of NCACPA’s standard processes relating to hosting events, a roster of participant contact information is shared amongst fellow participants prior to the event date.
- NCACPA rents its membership mailing list in the form of an Excel file to third parties for a one-time use per rental. The information contained in the list includes member name and the preferred member mailing address stored in our database. Email addresses and telephone numbers are not included. Members have the ability to be excluded from third-party mailings by contacting NCACPA via email, postal mail, or phone, at the contact information included below.
- NCACPA may disclose confidential information (which may include personally identifiable information) to authorized affiliates that have been approved by NCACPA’s Board of Directors to provide certain programs and/or services to members.
- NCACPA may disclose personally identifiable information if made in response to a valid order of a court or authorized agency of government, and will work to establish a legal means to limit such disclosure and only disclose that segment of confidential information which counsel advises must be disclosed.
- NCACPA works with third parties that provide services on our behalf. Such services may include credit card payment processors, website hosting, and marketing. We may share personal information and non-personal information with these third parties for the purpose of enabling them to provide these services.
- NCACPA may share personal information in accordance with any consent you provide.
- NCACPA may disclose or transfer personal information or any information collected through the Site to third parties who acquire all or a portion of our business, whether such acquisition is by way of merger, consolidation, or purchase of all or a portion of our assets, or in connection with any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding brought by or against us.
Online Networking Forums
As an added member benefit, the Site offers a collection of networking forums to its members in an effort to facilitate general communication, sharing of ideas, and networking opportunities between members. Even though staff will periodically review the content posted on the Site, NCACPA accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on the Site by others. If you elect to post any personal information to any of these sites, by nature of the service, all such information will be shared. This may result in unsolicited messages or communication beyond our control.
Links to Other Web Sites and Online Advertisements
Any link (including a hyperlink, button, or referral device of any kind) used on the Site is provided for your use and convenience. The appearance of a link does not constitute an endorsement, recommendation, or certification by NCACPA, nor should the presence of a link in any way be construed as a suggestion that any third-party website has any relationship with NCACPA. The Association does not endorse the content on any third-party websites. NCACPA is not responsible for the content of linked third-party websites or third-party advertisements, and does not make any representations regarding their content or accuracy. NCACPA does not knowingly link to websites that may infringe on valid and existing trademarks, service marks, copyrights, or patents. Your use of third-party websites is at your own risk and subject to the terms and conditions of use for such websites.
A cookie is a small piece of information generated by some sites you may have visited. It can contain information that can be used to track your visits to a particular site and allows for site customization on a per user basis. NCACPA is committed to protecting your confidentiality and will not store any personally identifiable or financial information in any of the cookies on our sites. All of the cookies on our sites are known as session ID cookies. This type of cookie terminates once the user closes their browser.
NCACPA makes certain types of information available to its membership by means of secured pages on the Site. Access to these pages is restricted by means of a user name and password selected by members.
NCACPA members are responsible for keeping login information secure and should never share this information with any other individual with the exception of current NCACPA staff when the need should arise. If you feel your account access has been compromised, please contact NCACPA immediately at (800) 469-1352.
All personally identifiable financial information that is voluntarily collected on the Site is done using the industry standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) 248 bit encryption. Access to this information is protected from outside intrusion and our employees are not permitted to disclose (to outside individuals or organizations) any information they have access to as a result of their work.
NCACPA offers other convenient ways for our members and customers to purchase goods or services from us. If you do not want to make online purchases, please contact us by postal mail, fax, or phone at the Contact Information listed below.
Information You Provide. You can always choose whether or not to provide information on the Site. However, if you choose not to disclose certain information, you may not be able to register as a user of the Site, which may limit your access to certain portions of the Site.
Communications from Us. If at any time you decide that you no longer wish to receive notices from us regarding the Site, you may indicate this preference by contacting us at email@example.com.
A Special Note about Children
Children are not eligible to use the Site, and we ask that minors (children under the age of 13) not submit any personal information to us. If you are a minor, you can use the Site only in conjunction with your parents or guardians.
The Site is hosted in the United States and is intended for use by residents of the United States of America only. All matters relating to the Site are governed exclusively by the laws of the State of North Carolina in the United States of America and not the jurisdiction in which you are located. If you are located outside of the United States of America and you contact us, please be advised that any information you provide to us will be transferred to the United States of America and that by submitting information, you explicitly authorize such transfer.
North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
3100 Gateway Centre Boulevard
Morrisville, NC 27560
Last Updated: February 20, 2013