By Samantha Delgado
Don’t let the fact that fall is right around the corner fool you into thinking that hurricane season is over. There’s still quite a bit of time left until the end of November—and current systems in the Atlantic are looking ominous.
As a Floridian who has been through many a hurricane, let me give you some advice – do not sit idly by waiting to find out if it will directly hit you. There’s no reason to panic, but as with everything else in life, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Thankfully, the AICPA has resources that can help ready you for any future hurricanes or natural disasters. Feel free to share with friends, family members and clients to help them take action.
- Casualty Loss & Disaster Relief resource center — If you work in tax, your clients will turn to you for advice on property tax loss and other disaster-related tax implications. This resource center is filled with articles, tools and other information you can use to help your clients rebound and rebuild.
- Disaster & Financial Planning Guide – Every situation is unique, but there are some general actions that all households should take to face unexpected challenges. This guide provides information about developing a general family disaster plan, protecting your property, your records and more.
- 3 tips to help your clients through hurricane season – As a trusted advisor, you can help your clients get their financial house in order for worst-case scenarios. This blog post provides helpful tips for hurricane preparedness and recovery.
- It’s hurricane season. Are you prepared? – What do you and your family need? What about your business or organization? This blog post lists important things to remember before a hurricane makes landfall.
- Is your organization prepared for a disaster? – Read this post for a number of steps you can take to get your company ready for a hurricane.
If you’re an AICPA member and are facing financial hardship because of a hurricane or other disaster, you can apply for assistance through the AICPA Benevolent Fund. Or, if you want to help others in need, make a charitable contribution.
Have questions about any of these resources? Please contact our Member Service team via email to [email protected] or phone call to 888.777.7077, 9am-6pm ET, Monday-Friday.
Samantha Delgado, Manager – Communications, PR & CSR, Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
Originally published by The AICPA.